11.7.14

THE BREAKFAST BOMB scrambled eggs + french toast




So I think we can all agree breakfast is the best meal of the day. At least up until that point in the day. And it's becoming pretty clear from this blog I have a predilection for breakfast sandwiches. Just think about it, you finally peel yourself out of bed, hazy, and stiff, and having to face the world, and get shit done? Well, I need a little more convincing than that. So first thing I do, tends to be putting on some tea or coffee, and getting to work giving myself a real reason to be awake, and for me, that is food.

What's in it?
french toast! (Queen St Gluten Free Bakery white bean and millet seed)
     egg
     vanilla
     cinnamon
marbled egg
raw 4 year cheddar
heirloom tomato
pea sprouts
fried onion
fried garlic
fresh basil
raw creamed honey
butter
salt


So obviously french toast is the ultimate in "give me a reason to get out of bed" foods. Why have bread when you can have fluffy slices of eggy french toast? I added a generous drop of vanilla to the egg, and let the bread soak in for a minute. I fried that in a pan, lightly buttered, and shook out a dash of cinnamon on each side.




Here's the raw honey, onions, and cheese. Honestly, such a perfect blend of things that I would eat a sandwich of just those three things.


I've really been loving this variety of heirloom tomatoes. They're a deep, brownish colour, sometimes with green on the inside. They're juicy, and boldly flavourful, but with a rounder, less acidic taste than traditional red vine tomatoes. Topped with buttery garlic, because, duh, what says summer like tomatoes and garlic?


Now the pea shoots, which I love. They're green, and sweet, and crunchy, and wonderful with eggs. I marble my eggs, which is similar to scrambling, except instead of whisking the eggs, throw them whole in the pan on a low heat, allow the whites to cook a little, then with my wooden spatula, I break the yolks, and push them around a bit. I love how the whites and yolks stay separated, that way you get a fully saturated yolky colour, and boldness. Look how cheerful these eggs look! Just a few grains of coarse salt to bring them out.


And that's a breakfast worth getting out of bed for:









xxx
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment